Thursday, March 24, 2011

Sock It To Me Baby

When will someone invent socks and shoes that stay on toddlers? Or mittens that can be put on without reducing both parent and three year old to tears?
From last spring:
I leave the house for preschool pick up with N & S, both have socks on their feet and no shoes.
I arrive at preschool and S has socks on hands. I collect H.
I arrive back at the end of our street to meet the elementary school bus and S has socks back on feet. N has socks on hands.
As we wait for school bus S puts socks back on hands. Both wave sock-puppet hands around, opening and closing sock-puppet mouths in silent song. I am reminded of Edvard Munch's "The Scream."
By the time the bus has deposited C the score stands at S with no socks on hand or feet, N with socks back on feet.

song: Sock It To Me Baby • artist: Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels

No comments: