Sunday, July 29, 2007

Love Letters

Whenever you find this note know at this very instant I am thinking of you, at this moment our minds have united even if our bodies are distant. I am always there right outside, knocking, waiting to be thought of, and then rushing to your side and sojourning with you. I love you.
It was signed "Marshall." I was not his designated recipient. I found the above note in the middle of a book of essays by E.B.White that I bought at a used book sale earlier this month. I doubt she ever found Marshall's note, surely she would have taken it out of the book and saved it. Not only did she not find it, she dismissed the book entirely, donating it to the library book sale. Marshall probably bought the book for her. Perhaps he should have put the note further toward the front of the book, instead of half way through. Poor bookish Marshall, professing his love in this handwritten note and then assuming the object of his affection would make it to the middle of this 364-page volume. Could she not even read a page a day for him? Then she would have found the note in six months.
On the other hand maybe they're together still; the romantic and the non-reader.

song: Love Letters • artist: Nat King Cole

No comments: