Sunday, August 12, 2007

Another Saturday Night

Ken is working the next four Saturdays in a row. Saturdays are the worst because the kids don't have any of their usual activities going on, plus it's too ridiculously crowded to go into town or to the beach so we end up hanging out in the backyard. Today we hung out in the backyard until it was time to go to Clayton and Lydia's wedding. It took me all morning to make this card I wanted to make them using scrabble pieces. It would have been less time consuming to just buy them a present. Then I had to clean yogurt off H twice, leaving him in his diaper (so he couldn't get dirty) while I went upstairs to change my outfit four times. When I got back downstairs he'd pooped in his diaper, stuck his hand in it and smeared it on his belly. Then the phone rings and it's my cousin calling from the family reunion I'm not attending this weekend and I have to practically hang up on her to prevent further poop smearing, plus it's 1:45 and the wedding's at 2PM and I'm the only one dressed so far.
From the wedding we went to the Falmouth Mile Invitational at the high school track. The mile is actually my favorite road race weekend event because it's over in four minutes but even more so because you can see the whole drama of the race unfold from beginning to end. With a road race you only get a small snippet of the race depending on where you're standing along the course: the finish line, the five-mile mark, the start, whatever - you rarely see anything dramatic happen.
Then we stopped to check our community garden plot where we harvested two lemon cucumbers, two carrots, and a handful of tomatoes, most of which were suffering, tragically, from bottom rot.
Finally we went to Courtney and Carolyn's for spaghetti dinner which I didn't feel I deserved since I wasn't running Sunday's race, but I ate my share and topped it off with two cookies anyway.

song: Another Saturday Night • artist: Cat Stevens

No comments: