Tuesday, June 10, 2008

We Gotta Get Out Of This Place

First it was the Museum of Fine Arts, then it was the Zooquarium. I don't know why we needed to take them to a zoo, a carload of preschooler pretty much IS a zoo.
I had a heck of a time buckling everyone into their car seats. The boy who unbuckled his seat belt in traffic last week didn't go on this trip but that only made things marginally better. First one boy said his stomach hurt, then another chimed in. Someone said my car smelled. There was name calling, "baby," "stupid," "dummy," and some assorted potty talk. Miss Courtney got reassigned to our mini van on the way home.
It was freezing out and drizzling, and more like a day in April (complete with showers), than one in June. It didn't matter much that it was rainy though since the kids got wet playing in the touch tank before even heading out into the yard. My son behaved badly. You'd think a kid would be on his or her best behavior when their parent's chaperone but it seems like the exact opposite is true. There are pictures of cow patties on the digital camera that C contends were not taken my him and we got to be on hand to see the peacock get lucky.
There were signs up to tell us how much aluminum foil gets thrown away yearly by the average American but no containers for recycling that I could see.
I don't think I have to tell you that I could never, never, be a preschool teacher. Preschool teachers are, for lack of a better adjective, incredible people. I hope that Miss Rosanne and Miss Courtney have a fabulous summer off because no one deserves it more.
And if there's a news brief in next week's paper about how the bobcat died after ingesting the cardboard tube off a roll of paper towels - well I don't know anything about that.

song: We Gotta Get Out Of This Place • artist: The Animals

No comments: