Sunday, February 25, 2007

I Started a Joke

"Mommy, why are you always serious?" my son asked today. I was making dinner when I should have been putting a puzzle together with him.
Always serious?
What about yesterday when I wore the tiger mask and chased H around the hallway upstairs?
What about when we all played monkey in the middle in the dining room before dinner last night?
How about tonight when he pretended he was a sea lion in the tub and I, as the zookeeper, threw him plastic fish to eat?
Or today when I helped him find animal pictures and pencils so he could prepare his Uncle Wiggley puppet show - which I later sat on the couch and watched?
What about when I took digital pictures of him yesterday with the cat lying across him arm?
Or when I pretended I didn't know where he was when he was hiding under his brother's crib?
Didn't I pull him and his brother down to the end of the street in the sled on Friday, at least until he decided he wanted to pull the sled himself?
What about today when I let them crawl under me like a bridge while I was in down dog pose?
Didn't I use silly voices when reading "Little Red Hen" and "Lazy Jack" tonight?
Didn't I sing my bad rendition of "Light My Fire" when he and Ken lit a fire tonight in the living room and an even worse rendition of John Travolta's "Sandy" to his stuffed bunny of the same name?
I'm always serious. Get real.

song: I Started a Joke • artist: Bee Gees

No comments: