Friday, January 18, 2008

Don't Forget to Remember

I was thinking that I should write something profound about being pregnant. If not profound, at least, descriptive, since this is surely the last time I will be in this condition and someday I might get nostalgic for how it felt to be - as they say - knocked up.
The truth is though, I'm tired of being pregnant, tired of just about every part of the experience. I'm tired of weighing 40 pounds more than usual, of not being able to turn over in bed effortlessly, and of not being able to sleep on my back. I'm tired of my hips hurting and of my back being sore. I'm tired of heartburn and acid reflux, and of having to go to the bathroom all the time. I'm tired of crumbs on my stomach and of wondering which is more unsightly, varicose veins or swollen ankles. I'm especially tired of sitting down and having my lap be completely filled by my stomach, a condition which unfortunately won't be immediately alleviated after the twins are born. My cat is having a hard time with the no lap thing as well. Even feeling the babies move, which is admittedly cool in the beginning, has become a startling out-of-body experience. Sitting around watching your own stomach move through a force of will that is not your own has all the warm fuzziness of the first Alien movie.

song: Don't Forget to Remember • artist: The BeeGees

No comments: