Thursday, December 08, 2011

NaBloPoMo 12/8

Dear fellow Blogher readers,
It's that time of year. Time for parents of school-aged children to receive a letter or e-mail from the classroom parent suggesting that they all pitch in to buy a gift certificate for the teacher.
How do people feel about monetary collections put towards gift certificates for teachers?
I opted out of the group gift because a) my son won't get that good gift-giving feeling if I write the teacher a check and b) I have four kids, all of which have various teachers, classroom assistants, music teachers, Sunday school teachers, coaches and bus drivers. These people are all lovely and invaluable to the quality of my children's lives but I cannot afford to go out and purchase gifts or go in on gifts for all of them.
It seems like the group gift is now the norm. Maybe it is easier for busy parents. Don't get me wrong about it. I'm busy too. You don't have to think up a super-creative gift for your child to give their teacher - or strong arm them to think of something. I have the kids compose a card in which they tell their teacher what it is they like most about class this year. I have them use details. The details might take some strong-arming but teachers love details. We generally make something simple and include it with a card.
Is the "group gift" now the norm? Does your child give the teacher a gift for Christmas?

2 comments:

Cynthia Meents said...

I've been teaching junior high for 15 years, and I've never gotten a group gift. Maybe it's an elementary school thing. On the other hand, I never heard of such a thing when my kids were in school either. As a teacher, I don't expect anything at all. Most years I get one or two gifts from individual students. Some years I get more, some years nothing at all. I don't have a problem with that. Truthfully, I don't need any more scented soap or lotion. I do love getting a Starbucks gift card though!

Joanne said...

Hi Cynthia,
I hear you about the soaps and lotions. We usually make a Christmas ornament and attach it to the card though last year we made granola for everyone, which was fun and tasted pretty good too.
I think the group gift is more of an elementary school thing. It also happens in June with collections for end-of-the-year presents.