Thursday, February 05, 2009

He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother

The twins had their one-year well-baby visit at the pediatrician's office last week. At not quite 17 pounds each, they are still underweight. It doesn't concern me as they have reached all the same milestones as their big brothers except for being able to face forward in their car seats. They'll get there. Besides, for the time being I think they are happy facing backwards in the car and being able to see what H and C are up to.
The pediatrician, however, felt otherwise and sent Ken home with a handout on high calorie eating.
High calorie eating in the age of obesity? I can't believe a flyer like this even exists. It's like contraband.
The flyer is three pages long, and among other tips to chunk you up, it suggests "keeping snacks handy," "eating a snack before bedtime," snacking on pizza and full fat ice cream with toppings, and putting melted cheese on "vegetables, casseroles, fish, meats, eggs, pasta, and rice."
It isn't meant to be funny (and some of the high calorie shakes sound delicious) but I can't help thinking that the only thing it's missing is suggestions to supersize them there fries and eat Snickers bars (covered in cheese) for breakfast.

Song: He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother • artist: The Hollies

2 comments:

Ann Imig said...

I remember A5's doctor telling me to allow him as many chips and fries as he wanted for the same reasons!

Remember when snickers advertised in the early 80s "packed with calories" (to give you energy) or did I dream that?

Joanne said...

Nice. Way to encourage those good eating habits!
Definitely not dreaming on the Snickers Bars. In the early 90s I remember many a 2PM trip to the snack machine for my "afternoon pick me up."
Those were the days!