Sunday, April 05, 2009

Love the One You're With

I think I'm in love.
I don't even know his first name but I find myself curled up on the couch with him almost every night.
Ken has no idea.
He's handsome, good with kids, has a great sense of humor. What more could a mostly-stay-at-home mom want?
I admit it. I'm in love with the dad from the Henry and Mudge series.
But honestly. Who wouldn't me?
He brings his guitar on camping trips and sings Elvis.
He mows the lawn.
He reads newspapers.
He drinks tea.
He gets dressed up on valentine's day and takes his wife out dancing.
He spends weekends in his basement building cardboard castles with his son.
He never seems to have to go to work so I assume he's independently wealthy - at least there's no book titled, Henry and Mudge and Daddy's Mind-Numbing Job. On the other hand there's no book titled, Henry and Mudge and Daddy's big Inheritance either
I know what your thinking - what about Henry's mom? Sure she's cute and perky, hangs around the house barefoot and likes to wear dresses. In another life maybe we could have been friends.
I can tell there's trouble between them though, how else to explain why Henry doesn't have any younger siblings?
Besides, I can read between the lines. In the book where Mudge goes to obedience school, I know she was having an affair with Jack the dog trainer.
Oh, and after the divorce - Mudge will have to live with the mother. Henry will get over it. Kids are resilient.
It's worth nothing that the Henry and Mudge series was written by a woman. Only a woman could create the perfect man.

song: Love the One You're With • artist: Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your library crew loves you- so clever!! The bunk bed picture is FABULOUS.