Tuesday, April 21, 2009

On The Radio

On the weekends, Sirius Radio plays the Top 40 Countdown on both the Big 80s and the 70s on 7 stations.
It sure plays through a lot faster without the commercials. Remember how Casey Kasem used to announce an upcoming song, air a commercial, come back with the lead in to the long-distance dedication, and then play another commercial? Good thing that was all back in the day when I had lots of time on my hands. Enough to wait around to find out that Wham had the number one song in the nation for the 6th week in a row.
Listening to the countdown has led to the realization that in addition to all the bad music from the 80s that I do remember, there's even more that (thankfully) I have forgotten.
In my opinion, Sirius should update the countdown. Throw in a few "where are they now" segments. What is Matthew Wilder (Break My Stride) doing now? Or Corey Hart (Sunglasses at Night)? Better yet, what about all those long distance dedications? How did they all turn out? Did Alex, the "wandering minstrel," hear his long distance dedication, "Guitar Man" from Kim? Did Wanda from Montana decide to become "more than just friends" with Jack after hearing his "I Wanna Know What Love Is" dedication?
Is it "Against all Odds" or "Love Stinks"?
And have you noticed how all 80s hits sound like children's music? Elmer Fudd (aka David Bowie) singing "Let's Dance," "Mr. Roboto," "She Blinded Me With Science," "Rock Me Amadeus," "Rock Lobster." Big 80s is station #2 on my dial, next to Kids Place Live. The other day I got the two confused. Convinced I was listening to Big 80s, I read the title, "Aliens in My Head," and thought, must be something by Devo.

song: On The Radio • artist: Donna Summer

No comments: